Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Shhhhhhh

Sometimes we can ignore what God is saying to us. Other times the message is so obvious that there is no use in denying it.

Since the first week in June, I have been reading the Bible and journal praying four or five days a week. God has sustained me through one of the most trying times in my life, during these quiet meetings of drinking His word and pouring my heart.

Two or three weeks ago, I was reading in Proverbs and kept coming across passages like these:

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.

A wise man's heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction.

A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered.

And my personal favorite

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

This is what I've been reading.......and then I walk into church two weeks ago and my pastor has the nerve to talk about the spiritual discipline of......wait for it...........SILENCE.

I have turned these things over and over in my mind. Tried to escape them, without success, and finally landed on the inevitable.

GOD WANTS ME TO SHUT UP.

2 comments:

Erica Wirtz said...

Very interesting words. I know I can work more to be the silent type...

Cassie said... said...

preach it sista...but do it silently!