Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

There are three fathers in my life. I respect them all more than words can express.
First, my daddy, he is and always will be a man that I look up to and value. When I think of daddy the word that comes to mind is dependability. I, as well as my five siblings and their spouses and children, can depend on daddy. He has done what he thought was best, even when it flew in the face of the world around him. He accomplished things that seemed impossible for him, given his circumstances, and his life is an example of a person's ability to change their course, and choose what is right. His legacy is found in his grandchildren, most of whom have already professed their faith in Christ, and been baptized by their papaw.
Second, my father-in-law, Stan. My husband's love and genuine affection for his dad, are rarely found in grown men.
When I think of Stan, the word that comes to mind is commitment. I don't know that I have ever encountered someone who is more determined in his commitments. He is committed to his wife and to loving her fully and forever. He is committed to his children and to teaching them what it means to have integrity and choose what is right. His quiet strength is an example to all of us who complain and fight against the things that happen to us in life. I look up to this man, and I am proud that he is my children's grandfather. I hope and pray that his grandchildren will look to his example in the face of adversity and choose what is right, committing to it fully.
The father that means the most to me though, is this one. The one that is raising my children. The one who comes home every night and isn't afraid or unable to hug and kiss his kids. The father who prays with my children. The father who takes the time to explain to our twelve year old the reason behind his decisions and why they are teaching her things she will need to know about life when she's grown, and working, and living on her own. The father who admires his son, and wishes he could be just like him, and tries to find the balance between spurring his son on and pulling him back. The father who saves the silly voicemail messages sent by his baby girl, and plays them over and over again, because he thinks she is so wonderful. This man shows both dependability and commitment, integrity, and endurance. Strength and courage in the face of adversity, patience, kindness and mercy. His legacy will be lived out in the lives of his children and I will forever be grateful to my heavenly Father for putting this father in my life.

1 comment:

Cassie said... said...

Their not even my dads and I love then now too!