Friday, January 11, 2008

The Battle Within

I HAVE YET TO HEAR A MAN ASKING HOW TO MANAGE A CAREER AND A MARRIAGE

I received this in an e-mail today, and it got me thinking.......Why do women struggle so much with these issues? I do, on a daily basis. I struggle with, "should I go back to work?" "are my kids better off with me constantly available to them?" "am I really satisfied with where I am?" "what could I do to reach my full potential...and not inconvenience my family." "Am I setting a good example for my girls?" The list could go on.

Does anyone else out there have this constant struggle, this tug-of-war within them. Truly wanting to do right by the family God has blessed you with, but wondering what is "right"? I know women who seem to "have it all", but do they? This has to be one of the things I battle with most often..... Any thoughts?

4 comments:

WORKING MOM said...

My kids are both in school now, and I get home at 4. Their Nana si there to greet them when they get home, but I struggle all of the time. They reap a huge benefit of a two income home, but deep inside me, I still struggle. I thought it would get easier when they got older, but it is still unsettling at times. Trying to find some self worth and self identity does not seem to go hand in hand with motherhood. It's such a paradox as being a mother is the most rewarding experience, but there is still an inner urge to further myself in other ways.

Jae said...

I got the same email today - from Grandma J. I think . . . she always worked AND had FIVE kids (but she also had a housekeeper!)

I just said today (for the FIRST TIME I might add) "I'm glad we didn't go for four!" The older they get, the busier they get . . . and its getting nutso around here!

As of this week - we now have SOMETHING for SOMEONE every single night of the week. I was on the VERGE OF TEARS when this dawned on me. I don't have ONE NIGHT when I can look forward to coming straight home and taking off my bra and putting on my pjs.

Don't get me wrong . . . I love my work. I find it challenging, satisfying and rewarding. We couldn't survive without the income (ok - maybe we could, but we wouldn't want to) and I'm not sure if my marriage would still be intact if I didn't have my career.

It just seems that Work/Life Balance is the phantom pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Vanessa said...

you know how I feel about this...just as conflicted. I don't know what I would do without the "my husband is a pastor, so I'm so busy with that" excuse. If we got paid to be housewives, it would sure help us figure out where we fit in the world...there you go...we should just hire ourselves out as somebody's else's housewife. We'll all be appreciated and paid and our husband's will be happy about how clean the house is....

Hannah said...

There you go....I putting an ad in the paper! Thanks for the input from you all.