Monday, January 7, 2008

Democracy doesn't work

I am (as of yet) undecided on who I will cast my vote for in the 2008 presidential election. I am strongly leaning towards a candidate and when I reach my decision will definitely blog accordingly.

The democracy I want to share about is a much smaller one, it occurs regularly.... at my dinner table.

There have been many votes cast over the years. Decisions made regarding the fate of a recipe (was it liked or destined for the garbage). Whose favorite color is pink.... and many other very important issues have been decided in this family democracy of mine.

Tonight over dinner however, our democracy failed.... miserably.

I made a common dinner for our house (a combination of scrambled eggs, sausage and white rice), but instead of regular biscuits I tried something new. I rolled little pieces of biscuit dough into balls put three/four of the balls in a muffin tin and made pull-apart muffins. I then served each muffin, slightly opened, with a dollop of butter and jelly in each one. My children were blown away by my culinary masterpiece, and a spirited debate over the name of this new "recipe" ensued.

I will spare you the details of the mud slinging that followed.... but after a vote that ended in utter failure the name was decided.

Super-Palooza-Peek-a-boo-Bug-Face.

From now on I run a dictatorship.